Columbus, Ohio | 2018
The project includes the adaptive reuse of an existing 5 story cast-in-place concrete and masonry structure (ca. 1902) with a 3 story, cantilevered rooftop addition and a 5-story north extension. The new use includes 86 market-rate apartments with indoor and outdoor amenity spaces, including a public coffee shop in the resident lobby and a semi-automated mechanical parking system. The rooftop addition is constructed of light gage metal framing above a structural steel transfer floor.
The design premise is a parabuilding that presents a vertical addition as a parasite to the host structure. The bright metal cladding of the addition provides contrast to the dark painted brick warehouse structure and its 12’ cantilever and shaped roof edge create a profile that takes advantage of the long views of the site from various vantage points around the city. Excised portions of the addition that provide common and private terraces are contrasted in bright orange as are the large steel plate shrouds at the building entry and café. The café occupies what once was the building’s loading dock and reintroduces the building’s industrial heritage with a steel beam canopy and a repurposed iron gantry system at the ceiling and stair railings.